Keeping pets safe from harm is similar to keeping children away from things they shouldn’t touch. Many dog owners don’t realize the extent of toxic and poisonous things around the house that can seriously harm their furry companions. Read these tips for keeping your dog safe from rats and fatal toxins.
There are several household supplies and chemicals that are harmful to dogs. Rat poison is highly toxic and even the smallest amount ingested can end in death by internal bleeding. Snail bait, used in gardens to fend off snails and slugs, contains a deadly toxin called metaldehyde when ingested. Antifreeze, insecticide, fertilizers, and lead are also harmful to dogs. Essential oils and potpourri products contain harmful chemicals that are dangerous to young dogs and elderly dogs. Household plants like aloe vera, lilies, cyclamen, and Devil’s Ivy are toxic to dogs.
Surprisingly, many kitchen food items can be toxic to dogs. Chocolate, onion, garlic, grapes, raisins, avocado, and alcohol are just common food items that are harmful to dogs. A medicine cabinet is a dangerous place for dogs. Several medications can be toxic in high doses, like aspirin, paracetamol, and ibuprofen. Other dangerous medications in any dosage include antidepressants, ADHD medicines, anti-diabetics, cold medicines, diet pills, and muscle relaxants. A common ingredient in household items is xylitol, a sugar substitute found in oral care products, sugar-free foods, and dietary supplements. It is also found in fruit drinks, jellies and jams, cereals, and baked goods.
Rat Poison: 101
There are several different types of rat poison available made with different active ingredients and levels of toxic chemicals. Due to the differences in active ingredients, the symptoms of poisoning may appear in a variety of ways. Dogs find the taste of rat poison appealing because most rodenticides have a grain or sugar base. Keeping rat poison out of the house is the best way to keep dogs safe from accidental poisoning. Always supervise a dog to prevent it from wandering into neighbors’ yards that have been sprayed with rodenticides, or keep them secured in a fenced-in yard.
If spraying the property with rat poison is unavoidable, consider having a professional residential pest control company come out. Horizon Pest Control employs knowledgable and experienced exterminators who know how to get rid of pests. They have the proud distinction of an A+ rating on Angie’s List for superior service and guarantee to get rid of pests the first time, or the service is free. Trust the comprehensive and courteous approach of Horizon Pest Control for rodent extermination.
How to Pet-Proof the House
Avoid keeping food out on the counter or table where a dog can reach and eat something it shouldn’t. Keep all medicines and first aid products securely put up inside the medicine cabinet. Don’t throw out empty toothpaste tubes in an uncovered trash can, as a dog may be tempted to chew it. Any kind of household cleaners, pesticides, rodenticides, and potentially toxic chemicals should always be kept either up high on shelves or inside of a closed closet.
What to Do In Case of Poisoning
Even with precautionary measures, accidents happen and a dog may ingest poison. The best thing to do is to stay calm and react quickly. Collect whatever the dog ingested so the veterinarian can assess what poison to treat for. If the dog vomited, take a sample. Many poisons take several hours or days to present symptoms, so every minute counts. Even if there is doubt if the materials eaten are toxic, go to the veterinarian straight away. West Park Animal Hospital offers the best advanced veterinary care in Cleveland, OH. There are nine veterinaries on staff using advanced equipment and progressive pet care methods. West Park Animal Hospital provides a range of superior veterinary services as well as after-hours pet emergencies, same-day appointments, and critical and intensive 24-hour care.